Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission from the vendor at no extra cost to you. These business relationships allow us to keep bringing you great EatMoveHack content. All opinions remain our own.
Alexis Ren (born Alexis René Glabach, born November 23, 1996, height 5’8″ and weight 132 pounds) is an American model. She was discovered at the young age of 13, when a photo of her in a bikini went viral. Her first gig was modeling for the label Brandy Melville. Since then, she’s worked with major brands such as Calvin Klein, L’Oreal and Express, but also does (a surprisingly small amount of) influencer work through Instagram, and even appeared on Dancing with the Stars.
At age 20, she landed her first Maxim cover, and at age 21, landed a spot as a Rookie in the 2018 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition. She even launched her own fitness collection through Revolve. But mostly, she’s recognized by her Instagram photos, which often feature her cheeky sense of humor, chiseled frame and impossibly small waist.
As is the case with most other models and actresses, her more than a 7 million instagram followers are very interested in her diet and her exercise routine. Surely no one is naturally built like that… right? You may be relieved to know that she works quite hard at maintaining her physique (again, much like most models and actresses).
Here’s how Alexis Ren’s workout and diet plan have changed over the years, and where they currently stand.
Alexis Ren Diet
Alexis Ren’s diet plan has evolved over the past few years as she’s been through personal tragedy and hit the legal drinking age. In the past, her diet was extremely strict — she didn’t eat bread (she’s rumored to be gluten-free) or consume alcohol. While she occasionally indulged in chocolate, the amount of sugar in her diet was extraordinarily low.
After her mother passed away from breast cancer when Alexis was only 17, Ren developed what she calls a “toxic” relationship with food. This relationship dramatically affected her diet and workouts. In her efforts to stay thin, she felt guilty about eating full meals or cheating on her diet, and would then use exercise as a form of punishment. Ren said she “overworked [herself] to the point of malnourishment (as you can tell from images from last year).”
These days, Ren tries to maintain a balanced diet — something she says is heavily inspired by her mother, who was a health nutritionist. She’s no longer compulsively exercising, and based on her Instagram photos, allows herself a bit of bread (probably gluten-free) and a glass of wine. Still, she keeps some guidelines so she stays on track:
Alexis Ren’s Diet Don’ts:
- Don’t eat fast food. This is probably a good guideline for all of us to follow — at least the majority of the time.
- Don’t eat red meat. The only meat she avoids is red meat. Protein from poultry, fish and eggs are still on the table, though her burgers are usually veggie burgers, rather than turkey.
- Don’t eat after 7:00pm. This philosophy taps into intermittent fasting and ketosis. After your body runs out of carbs to use as fuel, it moves on to fat. Both the keto diet and intermittent fasting can help you achieve that goal.
- Don’t eat fruit after lunch. This might have something to do with the higher carbohydrate and sugar content of fruit. Ren eats plenty of fruit, but chooses to relegate consumption to the morning hours. (She’s posted many photos of her morning smoothie bowls, which may contain vegan protein powder.)
Alexis Ren’s Diet Do’s:
- Drink plenty of water. You’ve probably heard of the eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day rule — that everyone should be drinking a few liters of water (64 ounces) each day. Truthfully, this number is more of a guideline, and not everyone needs all that water while others need more. However, many celebrities drink more than the recommended amount. They find it keeps their skin clearer, and keeps them from overeating (because the water helps them feel full).
- Restrict alcohol consumption. Some Alexis Ren diet guides say she doesn’t drink any alcohol. That may have been true at one point, but it’s probably not entirely true any longer. She’s above the age of 21 now and has posted plenty of Instagram photos of her holding wine glasses, and has tweeted about it.
- Everything in moderation. People looking for weight loss secrets probably hate hearing this, but it’s true: it’s okay to indulge in cravings as long as you don’t overdo it. She admits to having a sweet tooth, and seems to let herself have some chocolate, but probably restricts intake, or saves it for special occasions. One possible way she controls her sweet cravings is banana “ice cream,” which is essentially frozen bananas blended with almond milk.
- Eat lots of veggies. Unsurprisingly, Ren eats a lot of vegetables. She loves kale chips (which are so easy to make – here is a great base recipe but experiment from here). Veggies are often high in fiber and help fill you up without packing in the calories. (Hot diet tip: throw spinach in your smoothies to sneak in another serving.)
- Eat organic when you can. It’s not always possible, especially when traveling, but she prefers to eat organic food. Given that she eats a lot of produce, this is unsurprising.
In reality, Alexis Ren’s diet isn’t particularly remarkable or dramatic — it’s not as if she’s utilizing fad diets or never eating any sweets. For the most part, she follows a set of rules that seem to work for her, and indulges when she wants to. The basic principle of her diet is simply healthy, clean eating. Who could argue with that?
Alexis Ren’s Workout Routine
Following Ren’s diet can go a long way in helping a person improve their health and physical appearance, but her body maintenance rituals don’t stop there. Alexis Ren exercises almost daily.
It’s not uncommon for her to exercise seven days a week, but she makes sure she works out at least five days each week. To keep things interesting and fun, she utilizes a variety of exercises she legitimately enjoys doing, such as hot yoga, Pilates, running or jogging, boxing, hiking, and regular old strength training at the gym.
Ren appears to be a morning person, often getting up at 6:00am to work out before eating breakfast. If she doesn’t get up early, she’ll exercise right after breakfast. She typically works out for an hour or two.
Alexis Ren Ab Workout
If you want to get a taste of what her workouts are like, check out her YouTube channel. She has a few workout videos there, but one of the most intense is the 10-minute ab routine. Ren says she tries to do this ab workout every single morning, and fans who’ve tried it say it’ll leave you sore.
Alexis Ren Butt Workout
Another popular video on Ren’s YouTube channel is her 10-minute beach butt routine — it’s no joke. You’ll be sore the next day, and probably at least one day after that, too. You can actually see her making faces and laughing because it’s so tough.
Of course, these short videos only give fans a sneak peek into Ren’s workout regimen. She may start with that 10-minute ab blast, but after that, she’ll head to the gym for another hour or two of weight training and cardio.
Additionally, Ren is a classically trained ballerina, and still says dance is her first love. It wouldn’t be surprising if she still took a class when possible. And there’s no doubt this background provides her the foundation, posture, and core power she needs to get the most out of her workouts.
What We Can Learn from Alexis Ren
Alexis Ren found success at an incredibly young age, and has managed to inspire millions in the process. She has been open about her recovery from her eating disorder and frequently posts positive, uplifting messages to her fans on social media.
While some may find her dietary restrictions to be a bit too strict (particularly the one about not eating fruit after lunch), her diet isn’t at all unattainable for the average person. Everyone can benefit from giving up fast food and focusing on eating whole foods instead (organic, if you choose).
When it comes to fitness, even the incredibly devoted among us might find keeping up with Ren’s routine challenging. She works out (hard) at least five days a week for at least a couple hours (sometimes more). Her workout routine also features a lot of variety — something we should all work harder on because it keeps us interested in the workout, challenges our bodies, and helps prevent injury.
The average person may not have time to exercise for two hours each day. They also may not be able to afford organic food (or all the expensive supplements she puts in her smoothie bowls). However, there are plenty of good diet and workout tips we can take from Ren. If anything, her resilient spirit and positive attitude are reason enough to admire her.
Before trying any of these tips, make sure to get even more info about nutrition, fitness and, diets, from Eat Move Hack so you can live well with the body you want.
Want to read more about effective diets and fitness? Check out these articles!
- How I lost 65 Pounds in 1 Year
- David’s Low Carb & Intermittent Fasting Weight Loss Plan
- Tim Ferriss’ Fasting Technique – 3 Day Protocol
- Jason Statham Workout and Diet
- The Skinny Girl Diet Plan
- Tracy Anderson Diet and Workout
For deals from our great partners check out these offers below for products and programs to keep you on track!
- Looking for an easy way to get more lean proteins and great fats (think Omega-3)? Check out Vital Choice seafood. SAVE 10% OFF SITE WIDE + Get Free Shipping On Orders $99+ Using Code: HEARTHEALTH20 At VitalChoice.com! Shop Here!
- If you need inspiration, gear, or just a fun way to find more ways to stay active, check out Active.com. Start your $0.99 trial with ACTIVE Advantage today!
- We love fermented food because it’s delicious and good for us. But it’s also fun and easy to make at home with products from Cultures for Health. Free Shipping on Orders over $40 at CulturesForHealth.com!